A decision support tool that provides site-specific nutrient management recommendations for sustainable cassava production intensification in target areas in Tanzania and Nigeria.
Demand-driven and participatory development of a nutrient expert tool that provides optimal fertilizer application rates for cassava systems based on site-specific biophysical conditions, production objectives and input/output prices; demand creation with service providers; mainstream approaches for adoption by public and private sector research organizations.
Extension agents of government, development organizations and private sector companies directly engaged with cassava farmers linked to input/output markets: Sasakawa Africa Association and Notore Chemical Industries PLC in Nigeria, and MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) and Minjingu Mines & Fertilizer Ltd. in Tanzania.
Product Development Protocol
- Delineate project target intervention areas
- Review literature and develop a prototype (V0) modified from the Nutrient Expert for hybrid maize and based on the underlying recently validated QUEFTS framework for cassava
- Conduct a series of multilocational nutrient omission trials and use findings to parametrize and cross-validate models, integrate into spatial analyses to construct recommendation domains and refine tool (V1)
- Conduct additional series of nutrient omission trials and farmer-managed paired trials to confirm findings, validate and improve predictions to refine the tool (V2)
- Further refine, design and format tool to facilitate use by development organizations (VF)
Software (desktop application and mobile app) + paper-based extension guides
A DST for selected AoIs in Tanzania and Nigeria; analytical tools, approaches and protocols for tool development; updated modelling frameworks for site-specific fertilizer recommendations; ROI of the overall R&D approach; prioritized service providers use the DST